Thursday, September 08, 2005

Help A Friend

I know everybody is effected by the events and devastation of hurricane Katrina, some of us are overwhelmed by the enormity of it all. The news everywhere is horrifying to look at, the destruction to peoples lives and livelyhoods is unimaginable. I have given what I can to the red cross which is doing a lot of great work in the area, but it is still hard for me to imagine what it is like for the people who now have nothing, including their city.

But I can imagine one person, her name is Lisa, she lived in New Orleans on Cohn Street. She is a single mother, with a teenaged son named Alex and an eight year old daughter named Rachel. They are currently staying with people in Virginia. She use to be an adjunct professor at University of New Orleans, for at least the next semester and possibly the next she will not have a job. She is one of the nicest most caring people that I have never met. She writes a blog, The Garden of Irks and Delights, and we have become friends.

I am asking you to please help her and her family. Maybe don't go to that movie or (in my case) don't buy that book you've been thinking about, take that little bit of money and establish a free Paypal Id and make a donation to help support three people through this disaster (her identification on Paypal is Lisa (at) audiblevision.com). You of course can give more than the cost of a movie, or maybe a bit this month and a bit next month till perhaps the end of the year, when hopefully Lisa will be back on her feet.

Do what you can, make a difference.

No comments: