Friday, December 23, 2005

Eight Years, Two Americas

Operation Eden - "A personal chronicle of what hurricane Katrina has done to my poor proud people."

"But I'm glad this person half-assedly referred to the Red River Flood of 1997 in particular, because it can remind us all just how low our government's been brought, in such a short time. We can compare what an effective, competent 1997 FEMA looked like before it was gutted, neutered, a foppish good-old boy installed asleep at its 2005 controls."

My common sense tells me that I'd be far better off in the America that helped Grand Forks in 1997, not the America that says "We don't owe you a damn thing" to New Orleans in 2005. What a difference eight years makes. Which America do you want to live in?"

1 comment:

LisaPal said...

Richard- thanks so much for this link. It's a good blog. Though I find that reading the New Orleans blogs is having two effects on me- one is anger. Extreme anger, which I guess is latent as I crawl out of the land of denial. The second is anxiety. The reality of what we're returning home to is knotting me up. But I need to deal with all these feelings, like it or not. So, thanks.